Skip to main content

On the Bank of a River

On the bank of a river

to sit with you

is something I'd give

anything to do.


To hear your voice

and see your smile

to sit and chat

for a little while.


We'd waste little time

discussing the fluff,

instead setting the world right

making decisions that are tough.


I'd ask your advice

on the things I've done wrong

you'd hold my hand and

pause for too long.


Your answer would be honest

not what I wanted to hear,

but I'd treasure the moment

and hold it dear.


You'd remind me I'm loved,

a thing I often forget,

That I'm worthy of time and

peoples respect.


We'd sit and we'd laugh

time would just disappear,

you'd tell me you know 

I've shed many a tear,


In grief and sadness

in happiness too

I'd smile through more tears

tell you how much I miss you.


If dreams are free

(and I know that they are),

I'll picture sitting on the river bank

imagining you are not far.


That you're watching and listening

just out of my sight

And I'll strain to hear you

with all of my might.


Hoping that you'll answer me

one more time

I'll close my eyes,

imagining that I'm...


On the bank of a river

sitting with you.

It's something I'd give

anything to do.


Michaela Sheehan 

2021




I am not a major fan of writing in rhyme - I normally resist it, but here we are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog